While the country is celebrating the Labor Day weekend and grilling in their backyard. I am busy finding healthier options to reduce the 10 Pounds of extra weight I have so generously received unto myself.
I grew up learning the phrase “Eat And Be Merry, For Tomorrow Is Another Day To Eat”, and the person who taught me that (You Know Who You Are!!)….dint say anything about putting on any weight. It was repeated at every toast and with every host, the words ringing in my head.
” Eat Today, Eat Tomorrow, Eat Everyday…”
So this weekend while everybody is busy grilling and flavoring their meat, I have decided that I am going to spend time and find a healthier vegan alternate. My Food of Choice is the infamous cancer preventing and cholesterol lowering cabbage, who would have known sautéing a little cabbage could have so many healthy benefits. It has been proved in a number of studies that raw or short cooked cabbage has the ability to prevent bladder, colon and prostrate cancers. People at risk might want to include this vegetable in their diet 3-4 times a week.
I like my cabbage a little crunchy and without too many spices, below is my easy 10 minute recipe.
– Cabbage – 1/2 thinly sliced
– Jeera /Cumin Seeds – 1 Tsp.
– Rye/Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp.
– Fresh Curry Leaves – 1 Stalk
– Green Chili – 1 Sliced
– Oil – 2 Tsp.
– Salt – To Taste
– Heat oil in a pan, (make sure the oil is hot).
– Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and green chili, sauté for a few minutes.
– Next, add the curry leaves.
– Finally add the cabbage and sauté it in a wok on a high flame.
– Do not cover the cabbage, allow it to cook on an open flame.
– Eat with Bread or Roti.