Navroze Mubarak Bawaji’s, It’s that time of the year when all Parsis from all over the world celebrate their New Year and what better way to celebrate such an auspicious day than with delicious Dal Chawal and Kolmi Na Patia.
For all those who are trying to interpret my gibberish Dal is a staple dish made from curried lentils sautéed with garlic and spices and eaten with rice. However, this dish is incomplete without the right amount of Kolmi Na Patia, (Kolmi) Prawns in a tomato based sweet and spicy gravy.
Dal Chawal (Rice) and Kolmi Na Patia is always eaten on a happy day. So what better way to start the New Year than with this recipe?
Recipe for Dal
- Toovar Dal/ Split Pigeon Peas – 2 Cups
- Garlic – 3 Pods Finely Chopped
- Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder / Haldi – 1 tsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Soak the toovar dal/split pigeon peas in water for 2 hours till the dal swells up.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to the dal and pressure cook it for up to four whistles.
- Remember to allow the pressure cooker to cool down completely before opening.
- Once cooled mash the dal and strain it using a strainer.
- In small dish heat some oil and add cumin seeds, garlic and Kashmiri Chili powder.
- Add it to the strained and mashed dal and allow it to simmer for 15 min on a medium flame.
- If the dal is too thick add some water.
Recipe for Prawn Patia
- Lal Masala – 4 tbsp.
- Haldi/ Turmeric powder – 3/4th tsp.
- Sāmbhar Powder – 1 tsp.
- Tomatoes – 3 chopped
- Onions – 5 (Chopped)
- Medium sized Pcs of Gaud/Jaggery cut into thin slices (cuts best with a serrated knife) – 2
- Tamarind Paste – 2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix the tamarind paste with warm water and add the jaggery. Allow it to sit for 1 hour.
- Fry chopped onions till golden.
- Add the lal masala, haldi powder, sambhar powder and allow it to cook for 10 min on a high flame.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 10 min till all the tomato is blended well. Add prawns and reduce flame
- Once the prawns are cooked add the jaggery and tamarind paste.
- Add salt to taste
- Remember to always eat Patia with Dal and Chawal