While the name Nightshade, sounds more like a character from the cartoon network series, it actually is just another name for the Eggplant. Back home we call this vegetable Baingan, you may have heard of it by a different name – Brinjal/Aubergine.
This Bharelu Baingan recipe, is a family favorite and according to my mom family legend states that this recipe originated from my grandmothers cookbook, which I have never heard or seen of in my entire life. Also, there are over a thousand stuffed baingan recipes available everywhere, but this is obviously my favorite.
– Wash the brinjals and peel of the tiny leaves at the end of the stalk.
– Make 4 cuts into the vegetable and add some salt. Keep aside on a dry surface
– On a roasting pan roast the cumin and coriander seeds, crush them and keep aside
– Next, roast the fennel seeds and keep aside
– In a small pan add a little oil when hot add the crushed cumin and coriander
– Next add the chili powder, haldi powder and the coconut powder.
– Add this stuffing inside the crevasse of the salted brinjal and coat the outside with a very little amount of oil
– Cook the brinjal in a pan with a little grease for at least 20 minutes turning it occasionally
– Enjoy it with bread or some roti.
Note:- Eggplants, can soak a lot of fat while cooking, therefore it is preferable to add salt in the beginning.